The Advantages of a Breast Reduction Procedure
Breast Reduction Surgery is becoming more popular each year. Stories of celebrities who underwent the procedure such as Queen Latifah, Amber Rose, and Ariel Winter have helped put breast reduction into the spotlight. Thanks to these stars, women who have large breasts feel more encouraged to have the procedure as they began to realize that reducing their breasts’ size has a positive impact on their life, especially when they see celebrities before and after pictures.
What is a breast reduction?
Breast reduction or reduction mammoplasty is a surgical procedure to remove excess fat, tissue, and skin from the breasts to reduce the size of a woman’s breasts. It is an outpatient procedure, meaning you can go home on the same day of the surgery. However, in some cases, you may need to stay in the hospital for a day or two. Breast reduction surgery tends to have minimal risks and complications and the results after the surgery are very positive for many women. The recovery period for a breast reduction may take several months and strenuous activities will need to be avoided for at least a month, but most women can get back to work within one to two weeks after the surgery.
Breast reduction can be performed at any age. In some special cases, teenagers can also undergo the procedure. Nevertheless, teenagers usually need a second surgery later if their breast if not fully developed yet. Also, if you plan to get pregnant in the future, you might want to postpone the surgery as it can be challenging for you to breastfeed after the surgery. However, there are some techniques in which the ability to breastfeed is preserved. Breast reduction is generally not recommended for people who smoke, very obese (suffer from obesity), do not want to have scars around their breasts, or have certain medical conditions, such as heart problems and diabetes.
Breast reduction can also be performed on men who suffer from a condition known as gynecomastia, which is a medical condition in which a man experience enlarged breasts due to enlarged breast tissue. This condition can naturally occur and is not always caused by weight gain.
Why breast reduction?
There are numerous reasons why some women who have large breasts might want to reduce their breasts’ size. These reasons range from health concerns to cosmetic reasons.
Women with extremely large breasts, especially those who have a small figure, often have physical pain. The weight of their breasts can result in neck, shoulders, and back issues that can impact on an active lifestyle. Some women even suffer from poor posture, nerve pain, slipped discs, and constant headaches due to supporting the weight of their breasts. Large breasts can also lead to chronic skin irritation or rash under the breasts and even cause breathing issues. Many women with large breasts experience discomfort when they perform simple activities such as exercises and jogging. Women with large breasts also find it hard to fit into bras and clothing.
Some women wish to undergo breast reduction surgery for cosmetic reasons. Some women feel self-conscious, unhappy, and have negative body image because of the size, shape, and firmness of their extremely large breasts. Asymmetrical breasts look more apparent on women with large breasts, and many women wish to have them evenly sized. Some women with large breasts also have sagging and drooping breast. Breast reduction surgery can reshape their breasts into a size and shape that they are more comfortable with, which will help increase their self-confidence.
What are the benefits of breast reduction?
Breast reduction surgery can address both physical and psychological challenges that a woman with large breasts faces. The following are some of the advantages of breast reductions.
- It eliminates neck and back pain. One of the most prominent reasons why women undergo breast surgery is to eliminate neck and back pain. As stated above, the weight of large breasts can result in chronic pain. With breast reduction, excess fat, tissue, and skin are removed, so the breasts are not as heavy as they used to be.
- Modifies the nipple and areola shape. Some women may have larger than average areola and oddly shaped or positioned nipples. Breast reduction can modify the shape of the nipples and the areolas.
- Reverses sagging. Our skin loses its elasticity and firmness as we grow older. Regardless of breast sizes, everyone may eventually have sagging breasts due to the pull of gravity. However, larger breasts sag the fastest. If you notice that your nipples are pointing downwards, you might suffer from sagging and drooping breasts. Breast reduction fixes sagging breasts by removing excess skin so the final result is perkier and more toned. Some people also said that a breast reduction gives them abreast lift-like result.
- Reduces stretch marks. Just like sagging, stretch marks are inevitable. Those with heavier and out-of-proportion breasts have are more likely to develop stretch marks in their chest areas. Not only a breast reduction can improve comfort and eliminates back pain, but it can also help avoid stretch marks over time and allows the breasts to age better.
- Fixes asymmetrical breasts. Breast asymmetry is natural and many women experience it. Breast reduction can fix this problem by removing excess tissue and fat, as well as reposition the breast to create a symmetrical bust.
- Improves posture. Breast reduction allows women to eliminate weight from their breasts, which allows them to stand up straight painlessly.
- The ability to participate in numerous activities. Excessively large breasts can bring a lot of discomfort and discourage a woman from participating in an active lifestyle. Large breasts can cause repetitive stress injuries due to exercises that need repetitive motion. This makes many women with large breasts to refrain from sports to avoid injury. After a breast reduction, most women find it easier for them to take part in numerous activities with a new sense of mobility and balance.
- It allows you to shop easier. Those with extremely large breasts have limited choice in terms of clothing. Clothes either fit the rest of their body or the chest region, not both. After breast reduction, it will be easier for them to find clothes that will fit them well.
- Increase body image. Large breasts lead to poor posture and can be a source of embarrassment or negative body image. The result of a breast reduction can promote a more positive self-image.